Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Blessed Tradition

Well today is the drawing for the Jack Daniels World BBQ Championship. It is the championship that all competition bbq cooks dream about when they begin this adventure. We are lucky enough to be in the draw and thus I am busy today sitting anxiously around my computer today to get any update of our fate.

Because of the brevity of the championship Jack Daniels has become closely intertwined with the culture of every bbq competition in the country. I know we for one ALWAYS have a spare bottle of it handy when we head out for a competition and many of year have participated in celebratory swigs with us this year.

This culture culminates in the ritual known as the 9:22 am shot. At every competition throughout the country while teams are hustling about trying to get their meats cooked in time for turn-ins, most everything stops for a few brief moments at 9:22 am and huddles around a designated team's spot for a shot of ice-cold Gentleman Jack. There is always a toast wishing everyone there good luck in the final crucial few hours of the competition. I do not know how this started, or who started it, but there is one man that is carrying the torch of this tradition more than anyone else in the bbq world—Randy Twyford, also known as “The Reverend”. I have personally been there for one of his toasts and it is quite a treat. In honor of this solemn day I thought I would share with everyone of video of this great tradition.



If you would like to get an idea of all the teams in the draw this year you can go here:

http://pelletenvy.blogspot.com/2009/08/are-you-in-draw-do-you-want-to-be.html

I will re-post on here the results of the draw when I know them. Good luck to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment